About Me

My photo
I'm a Social Anarchist and an avid reader of comics. Twitter handle is @armyofcrime.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Random Comic Review: 4: Astonishing X-men 4: Unstoppable

Well, Whedon's run is over and I ended up with a lot of questions. The X-men are battling hostile forces on an alien world, which is pretty much their standard way to spend an afternoon. Wolverine and Armor team up, apparently making her Wolverine's latest teenage girl sidekick.

There are genuinely touching moments. Colussus consoling Ord that he saved his world. Kitty trapped inside the bullet. Scott and Emma being in love. More that feels unresolved, though. What happened to Breakworld after they left? How did that bullet travel to Earth so damn fast? What became of Danger and Emma's bargain re: Xavier?

Whedon's writing is fun, and Cassaday's art is great, but I think this series could have benefited from some editorial wrangling. It feels like there should be a part 5 or something. The story seems to be three or so unrelated storylines that just happen to bounce together. Nova/Emma's play against the X-men, the "cure", and Breakworld. We never see the cure mentioned again, which disapointed me.

Overall, I'm going to rate it 7 out of 10 Kitty Prydes. I ended up with a deeper appreciation of Kitty. I need to figure out when she comes back!

No comments:

Post a Comment