About Me

My photo
I'm a Social Anarchist and an avid reader of comics. Twitter handle is @armyofcrime.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Superheroes as adolescent male wish fulfillment?

I like the character of Green Arrow. He's a modern day Robin Hood, and he has been put through a lot of interesting twists and turns. I am, however, very behind on his adventures. This is the preview for the new Green Arrow and I must say I have zero interest in reading a series that opens with such a thing.

What we basically see is every right wing revenge type fantasy played out yet again. A young pretty girl is chased by a gang of street thugs. They imply they will rape her. Green Arrow swings into rescue her.

It makes me sad people are still buying that kind of lazy pandering story. It's a classic sexist fantasy, the male hero has to swoop into rescue the helpless woman, and the casual use of a gang rape as a plot element feels a bit misogynistic. The only positive thing I can say is that the street thugs aren't black, which is a slight improvement from this scene, which has probably been replayed millions of times in pulp fiction since the beginning of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment