About Me

My photo
I'm a Social Anarchist and an avid reader of comics. Twitter handle is @armyofcrime.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Alan Moore's trash is another man's treasure?



In a recent interview comics guru and cranky old grandpa figure Alan Moore said the following:

" It’s the paucity of imagination. I was noticing that DC seems to have based one of its latest crossovers [Blackest Night] in Green Lantern based on a couple of eight-page stories that I did 25 or 30 years ago. I would have thought that would seem kind of desperate and humiliating, When I have said in interviews that it doesn't look like the American comic book industry has had an idea of its own in the past 20 or 30 years, I was just being mean. I didn’t expect the companies concerned to more or less say, “Yeah, he’s right. Let’s see if we can find another one of his stories from 30 years ago to turn into some spectacular saga.” It’s tragic. The comics that I read as a kid that inspired me were full of ideas. They didn’t need some upstart from England to come over there and tell them how to do comics. They’d got plenty of ideas of their own. But these days, I increasingly get a sense of the comics industry going through my trashcan like raccoons in the dead of the night."


So what should be made of this? I submit for evidence two scans, one from an issue of the current ongoing series Green Lantern Corps and one from a short story written by Alan Moore many many years ago called Tygers.

Anyway, this is from Moore's story:




























And this is from Green Lantern Corps:

















Ok, so the one borrows from the other. How many specific elements from Moore's short story are incorporated into the current ongoing Green Lantern stories?

-Demon Plant Ysmault
-The character Quill
-The group Quill references he is a member of, "The Five Inversions"
-Children of the White Lobe
-Sentient city of Ranx as an enemy of the GL Corps
-Evildoers attempting to detonate blink bombs in the core of Mogo
-The greatest Lantern, Sodam Yat
-The prophecy given to Abin Sur is a major plot point, and is quoted from directly one other occasion other than the above
-A major plot point is that Abin Sur was driven mad by the the prophecy, which we also see in the short story, and that it indirectly lead to his death

So, does that mean that "Blackest Night" is a rip-off of Tygers? I wouldn't say so. But it would be dishonest to say they aren't intentionally borrowing almost every facet of this short story.

No comments:

Post a Comment